Friday, May 05, 2006

Archive: August 2005, Buenos Hermanos!

"The veteran Cuban singer Ibrahim Ferrer has died in a Havana hospital, aged 78" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4128560.stm).

Well, I guess 78 is a nice age but it still makes me sad. Most of you probably heard his voice without knowing him: He was a member of the Buena Vista Social Club which is one of the most famous Cuban groups ever (and probably also one with the highest average age). I first heard of him on the radio when I was riding my bike in the dutch countryside. That was back in the days when Henk Westbroek still worked for 3FM (and it was still a station with an alternative sound). The song was so playful and alive, had a very good rythm and was even funny. The name of that song was "Buenos Hermanos" and after hearing that song I bought his cd (yes buy!). It`s a great cd where maestro Ibrahim Ferrer was standing in front of a number of great cuban musicians. One thing you hear when you listen to the album is that it was made with lot`s of fun and love for the music (something that in my opinion is essential for good music). He did some succesfull tours around the world and his last one was in Europe (He even played at North Sea Jazz in the Hague this year). He was a great guy and his music made the sun shine. Rest in peace, Ibrahim Ferrer.

No comments: