Monday, September 18, 2006

Super Size Me?

After seeing the documentary "Super Size Me" today, I again realized that ethics in companies is a questionable thing. In its heart, a company will always stay a profit making machine guided by the wishes of the shareholders. Marketing is the tool which companies use to cover up for some of their more dubious activities.

That guys experiment of eating mcdonalds food for one month was more fun to watch than I intitially expected. I imagined I would see him puke a lot of times in those 90 minutes, but the count stopped at one time. The first time he tackled the super-size meal. It turned out to be a real documentairy with a lot of information about how the fast food chain makes itself an important part of a lot peoples lives.

The best point in the documentairy was that Fast Food companies do not focus on what they feed you, but on the money they can make from giving you what you think you need. The main cause for this is again the modern society. These days people simply don`t have the time, skills or energy to make their own food. So they go for the easy fastfood.

So after seeing this documentairy I decided to start an experiment for my own. I will not eat any fast-food or any other food that is not prepared or made at home. The last time I went to a fast food restaurant was ages ago (more than 6 months ago), but still, those fries, pizza and chinese each week do count to the easy-to-get-food category. Problem is that I will have to make my own food on those days, but I`m sure my mind will help me with that ;). In combination with a bit more cycling (bike has been repaired since a week, after 4 months of being unusable) its of to the healthier path for me..hehe.

Oww, and the Sopranos is a great series. I`ve seen the first two episodes and its great! Poor Tony...running two "family business'" at the same time..

No comments: